2016 is rapidly coming to a close and the New Year looms. Many companies will be contemplating various office enhancements – including modular office walls – in the coming year and decisions will have to be made regarding which projects to prioritize. Unlike home renovations that are often driven by whim, a desire to keep up with the Jones’ or just plain boredom an office renovation must always be carefully considered. Each project should be filtered through the rubric of “what’s best for the company” and in order to determine that there are fairly well established guidelines to consider that include:
- Purpose: The purpose of most commercial office renovations is either to improve productivity, lower operational costs, accommodate new staff or some combination of the above. The resulting benefits must outweigh the cost. Intangibles should also be taken into consideration so you’ll want to ask questions like “Will the renovation have a positive cascading effect on other aspects of the business?” Some will, some won’t. Some may actually impact the business in a negative way.
- Impact: There are renovations that are strictly cosmetic like fresh paint, blinds, new carpeting etc and then there are those that impact the structure of the office environment itself. These renovations need to be carefully considered as they can affect everything from workflow to employee morale. If the renovation includes demolition and construction of walls using traditional techniques disruptions to the office environment can be profound and wind up costing far more than just materials and labor.
- Cost: Speaking of costs… Any commercial office renovation in the USA is going to be expensive. There’s really no way around that in 2016. What you need to do is weigh the cost against the potential benefits as mentioned above. Determine what your budget for office renovations is and then decide which project provides the most bang for your buck. It may be an upgrade of your computer network or it may be the installation of modular office wall systems from I-M-T.
- Looking Forward: Any office renovation that isn’t driven by or that doesn’t account for future growth is one destined to generate plenty of regret. Regardless of whether your planned renovation is aesthetic, technological or organizational in nature any changes should anticipate future needs. If you’re reorganizing the office you’ll want to be sure you can adjust the new layout down the road to accommodate new staff without any major hassles. If you’re undergoing an LED retrofit you’ll want to be sure your new lighting scheme will accommodate future demand.
7 Reasons Why Modular Office Walls Should Take Priority in 2017
If you carefully consider the above guidelines for determining whether an office renovation project should go forward you’ll begin to see how much sense it makes to prioritize the installation of modular wall systems in the coming year. Here are 7 good reasons to do just that:
- Not just renovation, transformation: No other type of renovation project will fulfill as many different purposes as the installation of modular walls. Modular walls are not simply a way to transform the layout of your office they’re a way to fundamentally transform how your company works from every conceivable point of view.
- Lower energy costs: You may have been too busy to notice but energy costs are up by more than 1/3 in the past year. In addition, shortly before the writing of this article major oil producing countries agreed on the first production cutbacks in years signaling that more energy price increases are on the way. Modular office walls allow you to reduce your number of overhead lights and organize your office to improve the efficiency of your HVAC system.
- Future proofing: The technological landscape is changing at breakneck speed. With drywall construction every time a new device comes online you need to cut holes in the walls to accommodate data cables and power. With modular walls accommodating new tech is a simple matter of feeding cables and the like through easy to reach access panels.
- ROI: Modular walls aren’t treated by the taxman the same way drywall construction is. Instead modular walls are considered furniture or office equipment and can be depreciated much faster than what are considered permanent changes to the building’s structure. Typically 7 years as opposed to 39 years for drywall.
- Employee morale: Readily available statistics show that employees feel more motivated and loyal if the office environment they work in is engaging and set up to accommodate their needs as well as the business owner’s needs. Dingy old workplaces where natural light is scarce and airflow is non-existent tend to stifle innovation and motivation while offices fashioned using movable walls do just the opposite.
- Ancillary effects: Replacing fixed drywall with modular walls from I-M-T will have an array of ancillary effects other projects just can’t produce. The aforementioned greater energy efficiency and enhanced employee morale being among them. Other knock-on effects include fewer employee sick days, enhanced company image and lower maintenance costs.
- Portability: Modular walls provide one benefit practically no other office enhancement can: the ability to take your renovation with you. Should you upgrade to modular walls in 2017 and then decide to relocate your office in 2018 your modular office partitions can go with you. They’ll not only save you on buildout costs they’ll allow you to set up faster so you can start taking advantage of your fancy new office quicker.
Take Advantage of Modular Wall Systems in 2017
Modular walls are transformational building technology that can provide your company with the competitive edge it needs to stay in the hunt in today’s ultra-competitive business environment. Companies across the USA are discovering that when it comes to office improvements few if any other projects will provide the wide ranging benefits of modular wall systems. If you’re trying to decide how best to spend your office renovation budget in 2017 you can do no better than investing in modular walls from I-M-T. Call to find out more.