The design and layout of an office space can have an enormous impact on employee morale and performance. Readily available data shows that employees work harder, longer and more effectively in an office constructed from movable office partitions than they do in a traditional office or cubicle farm. But winding up with an effective layout for your movable partitions is more involved than simply setting up a few and moving in the desks. You’ll want to make sure they’re configured in a way that promotes engagement and provides productive spaces appropriate to your company’s raison d’etre
Crafting Useful Space Using Office Partitions
There are a number of environmental and work related factors that weigh on the design of any office space in the USA. Some are brand related, some related to productivity and some to staff morale but they’re all important. For this reason customizing your space to fit your particular needs is vital. Here are some of the things you’ll want to take into account when customizing your new space.
- Company Image: You don’t want your hi-tech company to have the air of a law firm or vice-versa. You want the look and feel of your office to be commensurate with your company mission. For some companies that will mean more solid panel partitions, perhaps with a classic wood grain finish. For other companies it might mean lots of glass partition walls that promote a collaborative feel while respecting the need for privacy. The point is to create a space that is completely in sync with the brand.
- Noise Levels: Noise is a major source of workplace consternation and one of the reasons cubicle farms were loathed by so many for so long. (They had a nasty habit of capturing random noise and delivering it fresh to your desk when you were trying to think.) Fully open offices are no bargain either in that they create a din that would make a busy subway platform seem quiet by comparison. Movable partitions from I-M-T provide you the design flexibility to control, direct and neutralize environmental noise so that staff can concentrate better on their given tasks.
- Distraction Free Zones: Even if you’ve done a great job at general noise mitigation there are plenty of other distractions that can happen in an office including unexpected visitors, phones ringing left and right and people nearby having spontaneous meetings at their desk. One reason fully open office plans have failed so miserably in the USA is that there’s nowhere to run, nowhere to hide when you have to really buckle down and hash out an issue. What’s needed are spaces where individuals and groups can go to brainstorm that are technologically tripped out and free of distractions. Movable office partitions make it easy to create such spaces at the drop of a hat.
- Employee Behavior: What type of behavior your employees engage in is determined in large part by the layout of your office. Do you want them chatting all the time? If not you’ll need to organize things in a way that discourages idle conversation. If, on the other hand, your product requires a high degree of staff collaboration you’re going to want glass partitions and meeting rooms. Creating a break space in a central location will also promote cross-pollination.
- Speaking of Break Areas: The kind of break areas a company provides say a lot about its relationships with staff. While no one is suggesting having a full time masseuse on hand along with free dry cleaning and an occupational therapist the break area should be spacious and comfortable and promote intermingling as much as relaxing. Your new space created using movable office partitions will provide a healthier overall environment for everyone. You don’t want to drop the ball by creating break areas that say ‘go away’.
- Don’t Forget Planet Earth: When designing your new office don’t forget to take mother earth into account. You’ll want plenty of natural light (as much as fits in with your company image and organizational plan) and lots of green in the break and reception areas. You can install carpet and furniture with plenty of recycled content and, of course, at the center of your quest for environmental responsibility, will be your movable office partitions from I-M-T; made almost completely from recycled materials.
When building out a new space using movable office partitions you’ll want to be sure it reflects not only those things you want from an aesthetic standpoint but those things you need from a practical one. I-M-T provides a full range of flexible, affordable office solutions that can be used to shape the perfect space for you, your staff and, ultimately, your business. Give us a call today on (201) 399-3080 to find out more about creating the perfect space with movable partition walls.