Modular office walls have become the defacto look of the modern office and for a ton of good reasons. They’re easy to install, easy to reconfigure, easy to maintain and afford the modern office manager with a slew of design options that were unimaginable in the USA just a generation ago. On top of that they’re the environmentally responsible choice as well since they’re fabricated from nearly 100% recycled materials and negate the need for future drywall demolitions that would create debris destined for the landfill. Yep. Modular office walls just about have it all. But how do you know which ones to build out your office with? In this post we’ll give you 6 tips for doing so.
Selecting the Right Modular Office Walls
Form follows function. What’s true for industrial designers is also true for interior designers so when selecting the modular walls that will be right for you you’ll want to keep that maxim in mind. Here are 6 tips that will help you create a space that’s the perfect blend of function and form.
- Put the Product First: What kind of space do your workers need to be able to produce a superior product? If you need a space that encourages cross-pollination between employees you’re going to want to eschew many of the solid panel movable wall options and keep things open and airy with lots of glass and perhaps some half panels. If on the other hand what you produce requires that your workers have quiet, distraction-free workspaces you may want to limit the glass to public spaces.
- But Don’t Forget the Humans: While the product may call for lots of collaborative spaces the humans involved may not respond so well to an office that’s completely open. While it’s smart to create an environment where workers can collaborate (if that’s what you need) you also need to provide private spaces where they can retreat and think; either as groups or individuals. Failure to do so could wind up hurting product quality.
- Take Advantage of What You’re Given: If your office is the beneficiary of copious amounts of natural light you’ll want to take advantage of that by using as many of the aforementioned glass partitions as possible. This will allow all that free natural light to flood the space and will keep your lighting costs to a minimum. If you do need to use some artificial lights you can put them on automatic dimmers that respond to changing light conditions.
- Reinforce the Brand: You’ve doubtless paid handsomely for a company logo, letterhead, business cards, signage and the like. You should make sure your office is also a platform for brand reinforcement. This is not to say the company logo should be affixed to every flat surface but instead that you can select modular walls that reflect the aesthetic behind the main design elements of your brand. This can include using brand specific colors or custom designed panels that reflect motifs used by the brand, such as specific geometric shapes.
- Don’t Overbuild: Some business owners become so enamored of the beauty and style of modular office walls from I-M-T that they over design their space thinking; “More of a good thing must be better. Right?” Not necessarily. One of the great aspects of modular walls is that they provide you just as much wall space as you need. No more, no less. Plus you get to adjust the number of modular wall sections in play at any one time to ensure there’s always a balance between aesthetics and practicality. Overbuilding your space because you love the way these partitions look is understandable but counterproductive.
- Limit Your Reserves: While it’s always a good idea to purchase a few more modular wall sections than you’ll initially need there’s no reason to go overboard. Remember your space is finite and our modular wall components are extremely durable and should last decades. There’s no reason to load up on reserve pieces right off the bat. You may not wind up using most of them unless your company experiences a growth spurt and requires a larger space. If that happens you can always just order the new sections you’ll need.
Before laying out precious capital consider these tips to help ensure you choose the right modular wall systems for your business. If you’d like some additional advice give us a call and talk to one of our world class office design professionals. They’ll help steer you toward the type and style of modular wall systems that are just right for your situation.
I-M-T is the premier designer and producer of modular office wall systems in the USA. We’ve helped scores of companies create more effective, more affordable and more beautiful offices and we can do the same for you. Call today (201) 399-3080.