If you’re an adult living in any city or even large town in the USA you’ve encountered glass partition walls at some point in your travels. They’ve become a staple in just about every office building, hospital, educational institution, shopping mall, convention centre and airport from coast to coast and most of us pass by them without giving the experience much thought. But, should you decide to ruminate on glass partitions for a bit, it might occur to you to ask one basic question: Why the heck are they so popular?
Glass Partition Walls: The Making of a Design Icon
With all the different materials and design options available today why is it that partition walls made of glass seem to have become the default building material for both public and private enterprises of every sort? Certainly you’d think there must be other modular wall components or even fixed wall designs that would compete from an aesthetic and/or functional standpoint with glass partitions. But is that really the case? Let’s take a look at a few of the things about glass partition walls that have won over so many people.
- The Look: There really can’t be much of an argument here. Glass partitions come in a variety of styles, shapes and glass types that can elevate the look of any environment. They can be cooly rational, warmly inviting, frosted to provide both light and privacy, tinted to integrate better with your office colour scheme and etched to add a sense of old-world craftsmanship. They open up a world of Western architectural interiors that for centuries knew only hard, opaque walls and dimly lit corridors.
- The Savings: For as long as there have been office buildings there has been a need to light the aforementioned dimly lit interiors with artificial light. That’s because all the natural light was being corralled by the offices along the periphery of the floor plate. Lighting the office’s interior spaces often represented the largest expense related to operating an office. Once you remove all that slat-and-plaster or drywall construction and replace it with either open space or open spaces bordered by glass partition walls the need for endless banks of fluorescent lights evaporates, along with the outrageous utility bills they generate.
- The Environmental Angle: Building out fixed walls requires the use of many different primary resources whereas glass partitions can be fabricated from completely recycled and recyclable materials. Every square centimetre of glass can be reused once your partition walls come to the end of their extraordinarily long life with no waste generated in the interim no matter how many times you repurpose and reconfigure them over the years.
- The Openness: If you want people in your organization to think it’s every man or woman for themselves just put up a bunch of fixed, opaque walls and jam the support staff into a cubicle farm where each is the master of their own little fiefdom. If, on the other hand you want to foster a sense of common purpose and trust take down the opaque walls and replace them with glass partition walls from I-M-T. You’ll create a powerful sense of everyone manning an oar and pulling in the same direction. Likewise in hospitals and clinics being able to catch a glimpse of people working ‘behind the scenes’ can go a long way toward making patients feel more comfortable.
- A Sense of Dynamism: Openness not only works to create a sense of teamwork among your staff members it also generates a sense of dynamism that visitors, customers, investors and potential hires will pick up on as they tour your office. Seeing everyone through the glass walls going about the business of creating success for your company is an effective marketing tool and one that should never be overlooked.
- Save on Maintenance: With fixed walls you’ll need to get the painter in every couple of years to spruce things up. Should you need to run new cables into an office you’ll likely need to open up holes in the drywall for them meaning you’ll also need to get someone in to patch up the holes as well. Drywall, while it looks rock solid, actually presents a somewhat fragile surface that can be dinged and even broken through without much effort. With glass partitions the only maintenance you’ll need to perform is the occasional cleaning of the glass.
Install your Glass Wall Partitions today!
Yes, glass wall partitions are everywhere you look in the USA and, as it turns out, for good reason. If you’re contemplating an office do-over or are facing the build out of a newly leased space you’ll want to consider the choice so many other businesses and institutions from coast to coast have made; beautiful, versatile, durable, affordable glass partition walls from I-M-T. Call us today, and you’ll be glad you did.