The American office of the past was a gloomy, cloistered affair with natural light restricted to the offices along the outside edge of the floor plan and everyone else confined to the floor’s dark center. At the time business was a pretty straightforward thing: you were typically on speaking terms with the competition, everyone worked 9-5 Monday through Friday and if someone complained of being deprived of natural light they were just a malcontent. Things such as movable wall systems didn’t even exist. How things change.
Movable Wall Systems: New Realities, New Solutions
In recent years the business world has undergone a series of changes that have shaken it to the core. Globalization means you may find yourself in direct competition with a company on the other side of the world you’ve never heard of, that you’ll likely need to be on call 24 hours a day 7 days a week and that the old, monastic office of your parents time just won’t provide you the flexibility necessary to maintain your competitive edge. So what to do?
Movable Wall Systems from I-M-T
The savvy business owner today is on a never ending quest to stay ahead of the business curve. Operations need to be lean and productive and the environment needs to be healthy, encourage cross-pollination and be able to change on the fly should you need it to do so. Enter movable wall systems from I-M-T.
I-M-T is a pioneer of the open, flexible office space and our movable wall solutions have been helping companies weather the storm of a turbulent business environment for nearly 15 years. Our wall systems appeal to contemporary businesses for a number of reasons, including:
- Affordability – In the past changes in staffing levels meant calling in the drywall company and hunkering down for an expensive month of dirt, debris and disruption. If the EPA didn’t shut you down the construction workers talking up your staff might. Not anymore. Movable walls are purchased once and serve you for the long haul. Even if you relocate your movable walls move with you. Not only that but you’ll see reduced lighting and HVAC costs as well.
- Enhanced Appearance – Even if you can figure out a way to work around a dingy old office design who (but perhaps a few old-money law firms) would really want to? Movable walls are as attractive and visually engaging as they are practical. Air circulation is also enhanced and natural light is allowed to penetrate to the heart of your floor space endowing your entire organization with an open, cutting edge feel.
- Flexibility – Movable walls mean that new managerial offices, conference rooms and even entire departments can be created overnight by your normal maintenance staff. Try doing that with drywall. If you need to accommodate a sudden surge in personnel there’s no problem with modular walls. And if you need to temporarily reduce staff and close down part of the space this too can be handled quickly and effectively.
- Healthier, Happier Workers – The rise of the cubicle coincided with a rise in office worker compensation claims and a skyrocketing number of sick day call-ins for most businesses. Stagnant air and a gloomy, disorienting environment made many workers dread heading into the office. As movable wall systems have risen in popularity a funny thing has happened: those worker compensation claims and sick days have been reduced dramatically.
- Environmental Responsibility – The mountains of debris drywall demolition would generate were typically destined for one place: the landfill. Today’s movable walls are made up of more than 90% recycled materials and decades from now should you feel the need to replace them they themselves can be almost completely recycled.
- Tax Benefits – In most places movable walls fall into the category of furniture or office equipment meaning they’re not considered a capital improvement and thus, won’t increase your property tax load. To find out if this is the case in your city or town contact your accountant.
If you’re about to commit to new office space or are looking for a way to get more out of your current office I-M-T has a full range of logistical solutions to fit your needs. Our movable wall systems will allow you to hit the ground running in your new space or turn your current hidebound space into a paragon of dynamic efficiency.